26 Aug 2015
Acropolis of Cuma
Archaeological excavations of Cuma returned the remains of the ancient city of Cuma, the oldest Greek colonies in Italy, dating back to 730 BC and it abandoned in 1207 when it was destroyed by the Neapolitan armies.
Of the greek temple (V cent. BC), traditionally attributed to Jupiter, there remains only the path of the podium. In the fifth century it was transformed into a Christian basilica, which remained conspicuous traces and the original baptistery. On the lower terrace is situated the temple of Apollo, whose legendary construction is attributed to the mythical Daedalus, who landed here after the fabulous flight from Crete, and of which few traces remain in the crankcase, when it was converted into a Christian church in the fifth.